Thursday, December 31, 2009

Annika by Annika Sorenstam

Another celebrity fragrance! I'll skip to the conclusion - this one's nice!

Celebrity fragrances don't usually move me. I know they're popular, but I've never understood the attraction. Surely intelligent women don't think that spraying on a celebrity fragrance will make them more like the celebrity! Heat will not make us look like Beyonce or help us match her lifestyle - sorry gals. So it was with a bit of skepticism that I tested Annika by Annika Sorenstam. It wasn't going to turn me into a gorgeous athlete - I was sure of that. I was surprised by its appeal.

Annika is citrusy floral scent with woods and musk. It has prominent top notes of mandarin orange, grapefruit, orange flower, and gardenia. The middle notes include freesia, cyclamen, rose, jasmine, and narcissus. The base notes include vanilla, sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss, leather, and tonka bean. As you would expect, the overall effect of Annika changes over the hours you wear it. For the first four hours, it's a sensuous, powdery floral-citrus blend. Then, as it loosens up, it hangs on with its base notes for up to 16 hours. I was amazed by how long the base notes were fragrant.

This is a fragrance that should have wide appeal. It's easy to wear, and the scent stays close. You won't offend your colleagues at work by wearing Annika. So, if the ingredients appeal to you (meaning you like citrus-floral blends), you might want to give it a try!

The fragrance has limited distribution. My sample was provided by SA Fragrances, a company based in Boston, Massachusetts that specializes in private-label fragrances. SA worked with Annika to develop the fragrance, which is sold online and in select high-end golf pro shops, golf resorts, and niche retail stores. If you live in the United States, you can request a free sample at this link.

The eau de parfum is available in two sizes: 1.7 oz ($59.50) and 3.4 oz ($79.50). A gift set with a scented candle or scented body wash will be available in early 2010. The best way to purchase the fragrance is at the Shop Annika Fragrance Web site. Or, golfers, look for it at your pro shop. Who knows what good things may come your way!

Photo courtesy of Annika by Annika Sorenstam

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i would not know who Annika Sorenstam is so I guess I would not even consider it a celebrity scent if i tried it :) I tested quite a few celeb scents but wasnt really impressed by any of them. I am glad this perfume is a nice exception to the rule

Charlestongirl said...

Too funny, Anna! I guess I should have put her bio in the posting.

Before stepping away from competitive golf at the end of the 2008 season, she won 90 international tournaments as a professional, making her the female golf player with the most wins to her name. She has won 72 official LPGA tournaments, including 10 majors and 18 other tournaments internationally, and she tops the LPGA's career money list with earnings of over $22 million — over $8 million ahead of her nearest rival. Since 2006 Sorenstam has held dual American and Swedish citizenship.

SparkleLuvr said...

I'm with you Charlestongirl, I don't get the mass appeal of the celebrity fragrances. Even people like Kim Kardashian is doing it, and she is only famous from hanging out with Paris Hilton! I'm not sure what makes people want a personal fragrance, but it certainly has turned into the thing to do as a celebrity. I wonder how many of them wear their own fragrances? :-)

Anonymous said...

lol...like tiger woods?