Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Guerlain Gloss d’Enfer Maxi Shine from the Voilette de Madame Collection for Fall 2013

There are three new, limited-edition shades of Guerlain's Gloss d’Enfer Maxi Shine ($30.00) that were introduced with the Voilette de Madame Collection for Fall 2013. I couldn't decide which one to purchase, so I caved and ordered all three.

Gloss d’Enfer Maxi Shine glosses guarantee your lips a shimmering and radiant look. Guerlain mentions plumping, but I don't see any more plumping that the appearance of larger lips I see with any great lip gloss. That's just as well; I don't like those tingling glosses.

Lightweight and instantly eye-catching, Maxi Shine offers tailor-made effects for a "devastatingly angelic smile." Here are the fall shades, from left to right above and below.
  • Madame Batifole (#860) - "electric, sparkling fuchsia"
  • Madame Flirt (#861) - "gourmand sparkling red"
  • Madame Fascine (#863) - "sparkling deep purple"
I knew when I ordered them that they were lightly pigmented. I asked - specifically because I was worried that the colors could be "difficult" on me if they were highly pigmented. I'm glad I ordered all three. They give me options. My makeup bag in my purse is becoming a Guerlain outpost. I love wearing them alone - with no lipstick - when I'm working.

I took swatch photos in full, late-afternoon sun. I applied the glosses in several layers, from top to bottom on my arm in the order listed above.
  • Madame Batifole (#860) - Guerlain calls it electric, sparkling fuchsia - shown at the top of my arm. It's really a vibrant blue-toned pink (to my eyes).
  • Madame Flirt (#861) - called gourmand sparkling red, shown in the middle. I see peachy pink, maybe with a red undertone.
  • Madame Fascine (#863) - Called by Guerlain sparkling deep purple, shown at the bottom. I see brown with a slight lavender/mauve hue.
I'd be interested in how you would describe these pretty shades. As is often the case with lip glosses, what you see in the tube is not what you get on application.

Gloss d'Enfer Maxi Shine’s oil composition creates a moisturizing barrier to ensure an intense softness. The ergonomic applicator allows for easy lip definition, more effectively evoking the hint of a smile. Additionally, each shade presents varying degrees of coverage and pigment intensity. The perfect partner for a desirable, appealing smile, Maxi Shine offers tailor-made effects for beautifully enhanced lips.

As advertised, these lip glosses offer lovely ladylike shimmer and feel great on the lips. They have average wear time. They have a smooth and non-sticky texture and glide onto the lips like a second skin. Guerlain says we'll forget Maxi Shine is even on. I understood them when I applied the first, with the launch last spring. Composed of mineral and vegetal oils, the texture forms a protective barrier on the lips that prevents moisture from evaporating and keeps the lips soft and hydrated. My lips look extremely shiny, radiant, and even brilliant. This is my kind of lip gloss.

How would I improve it? I'd add a little more pigment - just a little. Otherwise, I'd change nothing. If you like what you see in my swatch photos, you'll want to have a look-see when you visit the Guerlain counter.

I purchased mine at Guerlain’s boutique in Las Vegas. The Voilette de Madame collection is available now at the Guerlain Boutiques and Neiman Marcus - and perhaps Bergdorf Goodman. Those locations received the collection early. It will be available at select additional locations at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, and Sephora, this month.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a couple of the previously released Maxi glosses, and I love them! The consistency is unlike any gloss I've tried - not sticky and yet moisturizing - and they just feel and look wonderful. For the permanent/original line, I found that the non-shimmery colors have the most pigment, so maybe the trend continues here? Anyway, enjoy!! (And my makeup bag is chock full of Guerlain as well :)

Eileen said...

I'm so pleased that these new colors are on the sheer side. In general, transparent color is actually what I want from a gloss. If I want something more opaque, I wear lipstick; sometimes with a bit of gloss on top for extra shine or sparkle. I think Guerlain was probably keeping the whole Voilette theme going by creating transparent glosses to "veil" the Rouge G's as in the promo pic of the lovely Natalia. The Rouge G provides the color saturation while the gloss adds the dimension. Lovely combination.

Dlori said...

To my eyes, I was surprised when I saw the swatches of these glosses. Just based on the colors I see in the tubes, I doubt I would purchase them. But when swatched on your arm, to my eyes at least, I see the top color as a gorgeous cooler toned rose/pink, the middle as a warmer mauve/rose/pink with a hint of red and the last color I didn't pay much attention to because it didn't appeal to me. I would have loved to see these colors a little more pigmented as well but I love everything else about them. It's so hard for me to purchase cosmetics online because often the colors I think I'm ordering are different from the colors that arrive. My favorite is the top color, which I think would look gorgeous on you, Charleston Girl. Thanks for another great review. By the way, I haven't seen the new Chantecaille Palette of the horses for sale as yet. Have they gone on sale and if so, where? Thanks much

Isla said...

I would have like to see a bit more pigment too...I feel like there are plenty of sheer glosses to add shine already, though I do see what Eileen means. Transparent color makes them more wearable and easy to use.