Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Guerlain Gloss d'Enfer in Star Dust from the Guerlain Météorites Blossom Collection for Spring 2014

Guerlain has introduced "matching" limited-edition Gloss d’Enfer ($30.00) and Le Vernis ($25.00) shades with the Météorites Blossom Collection for Spring 2014. I decided to give the Star Dust Gloss d'Enfer Maxi Shine (#900) a try, ordering it sight-unseen from the Guerlain Boutique.

Like the reinvented Météorites, the limited-edition spring lip gloss and nail lacquer shade captures the brilliance of star dust. Like a magically iridescent ray of pure starlight, the season’s new nail enamel and gloss shine with a surreal glow. As top coats, they work to enhance color, adding a perfect diamond shine.

In the press photos, the gloss looks blue in the tube. To my eye, it appears to be sparkling white. You will see in the swatch photos below that it's a clear topcoat that sparkles like the stars scattered in a clear night sky.

My photos were taken in full, late-morning sun. You can see that Star Dust offers no color, just magnificent shine. It feels as glorious on my lips as the other Guerlain Gloss d'Enfers do - weightless, extremely hydrating, and comfortable. If you want to glow this season, you'll need a classy shine gloss. Will this be your pick?

I haven't seen the collection in my local stores. When I do, I'll try to get swatch photos of the Star Dust Le Vernis.

Guerlain’s Météorites Blossom Collection will be available beginning January 2014 at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman. The Guerlain Boutiques and some department stores are already showing it.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

6 comments:

Victoria said...

I'm curious about Le Vernis in Star Dust, as I'd love to see what kind of effect it imparts to a base coat. :) Thanks for bringing this collection to us so soon!

Eileen said...

I bought both of these because I fell in love with the "stardust" shimmer. Both have a silvery white transparent base shot through with adult micro-glitter (this is Guerlain, of course) in silver, blue, green, and a bit of pink. Both the gloss and polish are cool in tone so they'll bring some calm to bright colors and enhance cool colors. Either way, the effect is delightful. Because my lips are a medium rose, I can wear the gloss on its's own and it is very pretty, but when I apply it over a rose or berry lipstick--wow!

As for the polish, you can also wear it by itself and it is stunning. It has enough presence to stand on its own. Two to three coats will give you a gorgeous silvery blue tinged white that sparkles blue when the light hits it. I wore two coats over my Guerlain Base Protectrice and couldn't stop staring at my toes. LOL

These are both special effect type products that are guaranteed to add sparkle and shine to brighten your springtime colors and are a refreshing break from the gold tones that are so ubiquitous this time of year.

Eileen said...

Hi May,

I just saw your comment. Although I talked a bit about Stardust nail lacquer in my previous comment, here's a bit more info.

Stardust can be worn as a sparkly top coat over another color or it can be worn all on its own because the opacity and blue color does intensify with every coat. You can get everything from a transparent sparkly veil on otherwise naked nails up to a full on opaque silvery blue just depending on how many coats you use. For my pedi, I used Guerlain's Base Protectrice, two coats of Stardust , and topped it with Guerlain's gel coat. Two coats of Stardust gave me a slightly transparent blue tinged silvery white that sparkled blue. In the sunlight, it was drop-dead gorgeous. My pedi wore like iron and looked great until I removed it. I haven't used it for a mani yet because I was doing a lot of gardening and demolished a couple of my nails. I need to get them back into shape before they get the Stardust treatment :-)

addictedtoysl said...

I like shimmer topcoats, but I have too many.
There's Deborah Lippmann's Dream a Little Dream of Me, Diamonds and Pearls, and Bring on the Bling. I also have Jin Soon's Gossamer, which is currently on sale for $9 at Space NK.

Victoria said...

Hi Eileen! Thanks sooooo much for the information about Le Vernis! I'd been curious if Stardust would be similar to Essie's fabled (and sadly discontinued) "Shine of the Times". Nevertheless, Guerlain's Le Vernis in Star Dust still sounds amazing. Makes me greatly look forward to swatches! :)

Claire said...

For CG, Eileen or anyone else: have you tried mixing Guerlain n/p with other n/p? Most of my colored n/p are Chanel or Dior, and I agree that Guerlain top coat is just so beautiful, but I wonder if it may be compatible with other nail polishes. Any input would be greatly appreciated!