Saturday, July 12, 2014

Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow in TISSÉ VENDÔME

As all beauty aficionados know by now, Chanel had introduced a new line of Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadows ($61). They can be differentiated from the other quads on Chanel's Web site by the circular presentation of each shadow.

Each palette of four eye shadows features the most advanced innovation to enhance creativity. Its optimized formula unites softness and easy application to express maximum color - consistent and  luminous all day long. The shades come in a variety of effects: matte, satiny, iridescent, and metallic. Each is protected by a practical and portable black lacquered case with a large mirror.

These new eye shadows blend endlessly to define natural, intense, sophisticated, or smoky eyes - whatever your choice. The bullet points below come from Chanel's description of these new beauties.
  • An exceptional concentration of long-lasting pure pigments for a wider range of effects and intensities 
  • A jellifying system and a blend of polymers and spherical powders for:
    • a soft, creamy, glide-on texture 
    • shades that blend together perfectly
    • an even makeup result
  • A new manufacturing process for easy application and immediately intense coverage 
  • A total absence of talc for heightened color radiance and luminosity 
  • Synthetic mica to ensure consistency between the colors in the case and the makeup result on the eyelids 
  • Ophthalmologist tested and suitable for contact lens wearers
After playing with them and wearing them, I can verify that there are significant differences in the new formula. I love it. It's not powdery. The shadows even seem to be creamy. I also find that I can over-apply the shades and still not have to take away. They apply lightly and sheerly, making it easy to add more color if you want it.

TISSÉ VENDÔME (#204) is shown above. My photos were taken in full, early-afternoon sun. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the shades to my arm, starting in the upper left with the taupe and moving clockwise to the stunning peach at the lower left.

I am smitten with all four colors in TISSÉ VENDÔME. The taupe at the top of my arm has a very warm tone that's perfect for summer.  Although the ivory flesh tone almost disappears into my arm, it's a perfect base or highlighting shade on the eyelids.

When I first opened the compact, I feared the dark brown would be too dark (given its appearance in the compact). It isn't. It's a nice chocolate brown. The shimmering peach, orange, apricot, or however you see it, is magnificent. It draws attention to the eyes and magnifies their color. Additionally, it complements all of the other shades extremely well.

I purchased four of the quads from Chanel's Web site. They are winging their way to all Chanel counters and online retailers now. Make sure to go see them as soon as you can.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Eileen said...

Tissé Vendôme is one of the quads I purchased. I couldn't resist the peach shade which always flatters my eye color. This is only my second day wearing the new formulation but so far I've been favorably impressed with how well it performs. I also like the crystalline look of the colors. They can be applied sheerly for a translucent watercolor effect, applied generously for a more opaque look, and applied wet for a bolder or more metallic look. The shadows work well with a variety of brushes to produce different effects and the two quads I've tried so far seem to blend easily and smoothly. Bonus points! The accompanying pamphlet with suggestions for how to achieve different looks is actually quite helpful.

Hi Nemo,

Have you tried this particular quad yet? I bet it's gorgeous with your coloring.

Hi Melenie,

I was so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the quad you got. Any chance you got a dud? I also bought Tissé Gabrielle. It was the one the Chanel SA applied on me and looked well blended and seamless. I also didn't have any creasing problems but then I don't have oily lids and seldom wear a primer. I do hope your new eye primer will solve the problem for you because these really are very pretty and Gabrielle is particularly sexy.

VancouverChic said...

Hi CG,

The swatches are stunning - literally stunning. I think I will have to spring for this one, it would look incredible with green eyes and great with your blue eyes too!

Thanks so much for the swatches CG!

Joanne ~ VancouverChic

Grlnxdor said...

So glad that Vendome was one of your four choices, CG. I'm in love with all of the colors in the quad and I know I will be able to create several fantastic looks that will complement my green eyes. Your swatches are stunning as always and so very helpful to someone like me who doesn't live anywhere near a Chanel counter.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I've got Hazel eyes, and I'd Spring for this in a heartbeat! It really is gorgeous when swatched, not to mention in the compact. The taupe has caught my eye. And surprisingly, to me, anyway, the peach doesn't look reddish at all when applied. Nice!

Anonymous said...

FYI they are all permanent with the exception of Poesie.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous, odd, then, that Chanel says they are limited.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Anonymous. The Web site says they are limited, but our Chanel area rep says only one is. The rest are permanent. Yea!

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

What a gorgeous quad! Tisse Vendome seems like it's a set that should get good use!

Christina said...

Thank you for the swatches. Do you have swatches for the 1st one you posted?

I would consider that one for a change.

Anonymous said...

What were the other three you got?
These shadows have no talc.

Nemo said...

Oh, Eileen, how sweet of you! No, but I'll get to it soon. I bought all of them, and the 9th one, Poesie, and I am using them in alphabetical order. Haha. Yesterday was Cambon, today Camelia, and tomorrow--Sunday--will be the heaviest one, Gabrielle. I love them, too. I am having such fun with them. As for Melenie and the creasing, I have oily lids. I wipe them gently with Burts Bees Lavender toner each morning before I use my CHANEL eye primer. It's an alcohol-free toner. Works!Now here's a Q: All the new quads are called Tisse something except the limited edition quad called simply Poesie. I don't think it's part of the new collection. But it's now part of mine! Did anyone get the new pencils? Wonderful!

Petunia said...

Hello Everyone!
I can explain the "glitch" in the Chanel website. If you look to the left where the quads are illustrated, under the quads it says "limited edition." To the right of "limited edition" is a plus sign. Click on the plus sign and it opens the window that shows Poesie as LE.
Easy to miss this feature. Most often the page will open with the permanent colors open- so you will see a minus side to the right of the illustration of the permanent colors and the limited edition area will be closed requiring a click on the plus sign to open it. Did I make sense?
Looking forward to the rest of the reviews!

Eileen said...

Hi Nemo,

When I was originally at the counter, the SA used Gabrielle on me. I told her forget that it's 90 degrees outside, just give me something sultry and sexy that doesn't make me look like an old "cougar" on the prowl! LOL. Yesterday I wore Camélia and used the Marron Glacé pencil. I held off on the other new pencils until I got a handle on the quads, but now that I see how versatile they are, I'll take a second look :-)

Lisa C said...

This looks stunning! I have yet to try any Chanel e/s. This one looks like a good start though. I love my neutrals, so any other palettes you can think of that would be a great way to start off with?

Unknown said...

Hello, I like your blog very much. I have chosen the 232 Tisse Venitien from this new CHANEL eyeshadow collection and share on my blog too. CHANEL told me the Tisse Venitien is a limited colour and I just love to work it around. ❤️��

Natalie said...

HI! I just have to say I have been reading your blog for the past year now and I love it!

I tried the new YSL Mondrian eye palette the other day but held off on buying it. (I loved 07 Parisiane.) Do you think this new Chanel formula is better than the YSL? Let me know. I think I can only get one of the two. I've been using Estee Lauder and Dior these last few years.

Melanie said...

Thank you, Eileen and Nemo! It worked a bit better today, but still not perfect. I will try it next without anything underneath. Gabrielle is such a beautiful combination of shades! The plum (which seems to be a shade that Chanel circles back to every now and then; reminds me of the Ombre d'eau in Bayou. Loved those!) works wonderfully with green eyes.